Jean Perrault erected the monument, in memory of Prince Henri II of Bourbon-Condé, in Paris in the Saint-Paul-Saint-Louis church, the Church of the Jesuits of the rue Saint-Antoine (now named Eglise Saint Paul). This Prince, the Grand Condé's father, had wished that his heart remain by the side of his sovereign King Louis XIII. The Grand Condé commissioned the six characters and the bronze bas-reliefs in 1648, after his father’s death in 1646, from sculptor Jacques Sarazin (1592-1660). They are Religion, holding a heart and accompanied by a weeping child and a stork; Prudence, as Minerva, holding a snake-surrounded spear as she receives a heart from a child, symbolizing divine love; Piety, praying hands crossed over her chest, with a pelican at her feet; Justice with the sword and the scale, a child presenting her with an armored shield and a child presenting an epitaph. In 1659, a new deal was struck pertaining to fourteen bas-reliefs. The four largest bas-reliefs evoke in a long procession the Triumphs of Death, Time, Fame and Eternity.
In the center, the funeral urn where the hearts of the house of Condé Princes were reunited with Prince Henri II’s own heart (following the medieval tradition, the hearts were kept in a different place than the bodies: the bodies of the Condé were brought to the church of Vallery in Burgundy, near Sens), hence the name “Chapel of the Condé Hearts” given to the monument.
In 1791, Alexandre Lenoir, founder of French Monuments Museum, saved it. The monument was returned to the Condé in 1816 and the Duke of Aumale placed it in the château's chapel in 1885. The last heart belongs to the eldest son of the Duke of Aumale, Louis of Orleans, Prince of Condé, who died when he was just twenty-one years old in Sydney, in 1866.