The small Park's woods

Small Park© Béatrice Lécuyer-Bibal
The Small Park is located in the Chantilly's Park, East of the chateau. Built by the Duke of Bourbon at the beginning of the eighteenth century as an entertainment area for the Princes of Condé's Summer guests, it features a goose game, several green rooms adorned with sculptures, and Sylvie's House, elevated under the Montmorency and rearranged under the Condé and the Duke of Aumale. It has just been fully restored.

The château of Enghien

This lenghty building is located bear the small park, a wooded portion of Chantilly's park. It was built in 1769 by architect Jean-Francois Leroy, to accommodate the many guests of the Princes of Condé. In the eighteenth century, ambassadors and royalty loved Chantilly for its many parties and hunting games. The main Château lacked the space to appropriately host all of its guests.

Today, the building is called château d’Enghien, in honor of the last descendant of Bourbon-Condé who was born in 1772 and spent there his early childhood, with his nannies. Since 1897, The château of Enghien has housed the apartments of the Institute of France members who watch over Chantilly's fate and represent the Academies which the Duke of Aumale belonged to as a member: Mr. Marc Fumaroli from the French Academy, Mr. Yves Boiret, from the Fine Arts Academy and Mr Jean-François Jarrige from the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres.

 

The House of Sylvie

This charming little house from the seventeenth century is a testament to the loving memory of the Duchess of Montmorency, affectionately renamed Sylvie by Theophile de Viau. The libertine (and atheist) poet was wanted by the police of Louis XIII and often sought refuge with the Duchess, who happily obliged. As a token of his gratitude, Théophile dedicated odes and sonnets to his protector, giving her this name which then extended to the house and to the adjacent park (you can read a few Théophile verses dedicated to Sylvie on the gold-letter plate located on the wall of the house).

The house can accommodate your seminars, as well as private and family events. Visit the pages on les pages du département événementiel.

 

The Cabotière

This building wa erected at the time of the Grand Condé and Le Nôtre towards the end of the seventeenth century to house the Chantilly Estate’s green houses, on the recommendation of Nicolas Caboud, lawyer at the Parliament of Paris and advisor of Condé as far as his bulb plant acquisitions were concerned. In the Spring, behind the Cabotière, you will see the daffodils that grow there naturally.

 

The Goose game

In the early eighteenth century, the Princes of Condé requested that a giant Goose game be drawn in the small park. The game is built over several hundred meters, with the usual number of squares, as well as the bridge and the well (the player unfortunate enough to land in the well, must remain a prisoner until another player comes to their rescue). Queen Marie Lesczinska herself came to play the game. At the heart of the Goose game, there also was a ring game, in which one had to use a stick to catch rings. These outdoor games prefigured our present playground attractions. King Louis XIV, in Versailles, even had a "ramasse" (pick-up), which consisted of a small truck on rail, the  ancestor of today’s roller coasters.

 

The Four Elements

The Small Park is home to four seventeenth-century statues, copies of the park of Versailles and other original creations. The Water statue is at the head of the Cercle, upriver of the Grand Canal, but the other three, Air, Earth and Fire are grouped together near the Pas de Tir (firing range) of the Duke of Aumale.

 

The Pas de Tir (Firing 
range)

In the nineteenth century, the Duke of Aumale would exercize his shooting skills in this wooded portion of the park. A wooden building held the guns and ammunition of the Prince and his guests. The target was hung against the wall.

Small Park©Béatrice lécuyer-Bibal
House of Sylvie©Domaine de Chantilly
House of Sylvie©Musée Condé
The Small Park Woods
Château of Enghien©M.Savart